AltStore IPA installer for iOS
If you're looking for an iOS app to sign and install IPA files on your device, download AltStore. While it doesn't install the files directly on your iPhone, by running AltServer on your desktop and connecting to your iPhone, it will accomplish the task.
Download AltStore for Windows, macOS, or Linux.
- macOS download – (macOS 10.14 and above)
- Windows 32-bit download – (Windows 10 or higher)
- Windows 64-bit download – (Windows 10 or higher)
- Linux download – (Linux x86 & 64)
What is AltStore?
AltStore is a free iOS app that enables you to install IPA files on your device without jailbreaking it. With the free certificate, you can install up to three apps that will remain functional for seven days before needing to be re-signed by AltServer to prevent expiration.
Cydia Impactor is no longer functional with free certificates, making AltStore the go-to app for this purpose. The workaround for signing IPA files behind AltServer is also utilized on other tools to sign and install IPA files on iPhones such as Sideloadly, Bullfrog Assistant, or SideStore.
AltStore is compatible with iOS 12.2, iOS 13, iOS 14, iOS 15, and the latest iOS 16. It can now also sideload IPA files directly to iOS devices without the need to install AltStore first. This can save you 2 slots. To access this feature, hold down the Option key (on macOS) or the Start key (on Windows) while clicking the AltServer icon, which will reveal the “Sideload .ipa…” menu option.
AltStore was initially created to install Delta (an all-in-one emulator for iOS),but the developer later decided to allow other users to distribute their apps through the IPA signing tool as well.
By using AltServer, you can install IPA files with your Apple ID over Wi-Fi, re-sign apps in the background to prevent them from expiring, and handle all app updates through AltStore, which must be installed on your iPhone or iPad. Note that all operations require that AltServer is installed and running on your computer and the iDevice is connected to the same Wi-Fi.
In addition, AltStore allows you to deactivate installed apps, enabling you to switch between a max of 10 apps without the 3 app limit. This means that you can install up to 10 apps on your iOS device and switch between them as needed. It also works with a paid developer account.
Note: App containing extentions on non-developer Apple IDs are limited to creating 10 App IDs per week. App extentions often used in tweaked apps count towards this limit.
You can download IPA files in the Safari browser and send them directly to the AltStore app for signing and installing. Starting from version 1.4 (which requires a minimum of iOS 14),there is an added option to refresh apps through the Siri and Shortcuts app, as well as support for a Home Screen widget that displays the expiration time of sideloaded apps.
AltStore IPA can also be installed on any modern jailbreak such as unc0ver or XinaA15. Furthermore, the developer has released AltDaemon, which can be installed on jailbroken devices. This allows AltStore to install and sign apps without the need for AltServer on a computer, making it a self-sufficient IPA signing tool for jailbroken iOS devices.
AltStore is packed with accessibility for VoiceOver users, as well as support for 3rd party sources with IPAs and URL scheme for adding sources directly. This last feature allows you to download and install IPA files automatically on your device.
The possibilities offered by the tool don't end here. AltStore and AltServer are known for their support for the jailbreak community. As a result since AltStore 1.4.8 allows you to install unc0ver's Fugu14-based untethered jailbreak (works after restart) on iOS 14.3 – iOS 14.5.1.
There's more. When Psychic Paper exploit was released for iOS 13 – iOS 13.4 AltStore was implemented not only to install, but also to allow Filza Escaped to view and manage all files on your device without jailbreak. The exploit was fixed with iOS 13.5 beta release.
One of the last features implemented to AltStore is support for AltJIT. With Just-In-Time (JIT) compilations supported apps can be compiled natively on the device allowing them to run at full speed. As an example, Delta JIT compilation doubles the Fast Forward speed from 1.5x to 3x.
With JIT compilation supported on iOS 14.2 – iOS 15.4, emulation apps can now run at full speed and performance. This feature is provided by iOS, but was never been publicly mentioned by Apple. JIT apps are not available at App Store, only sideloaded apps can handle this feature.
Besides Delta emulator, also UTM (virtual machine for iOS) and DolphiniOS (GameCube and Wii emulator for iPhone and iPad) apps work with AltJIT. To run apps in JIT mode simply tap on an app icon and activate 3D Touch and select from the context menu Enable JIT if available.
AltServer and AltStore were never released officially for Linux, but there are available forks of the project via GitHub AltServer Linux and AltServerGUI Linux. Riley Testut is responsible only for the AltStore Windows and AltStore macOS releases installed via AltServer.
If you are running a device without jailbreak you can try the TrollStore app. It uses the CoreTrust bypass bug to install permanently apps on stock iOS, and it doesn't require a jailbroken environment. It works on iOS 14.0 up to iOS 14.8.1 and iOS 15 up to iOS 15.4.1.
Due to the licensing of certain dependencies used by AltStore, the developer released the software under the AGPLv3 open-source license via the GitHub Repo. To compile the code, you will need Xcode and Swift 5+ for iOS 12.2+ (AltStore) and macOS 10.14.4+ (AltServer).
AltStore was primarily written in Swift, with 91% of the code being in that language. Riley Testut has also provided the source code for all of its components, including AltPlugin, AltServer, AltWidget, AltStore, and AltDaemon allowing everyone to learn how the app works.
Popular IPA signing tools based on AltStore technology include:
- SideStore for iOS.
- Sideloadly for macOS and Windows.
- Bullfrog Assistant for iOS.
- Esign for iOS.
- TutuApp for macOS.
Install AltStore on iOS
AltStore can be installed on iOS using the official AltServer for Windows and macOS. Linux's users can download the DEB file of the AltServer-LinuxGUI release. This allows users of all major operating systems to install and use AltStore on their iOS devices.
Download AltServer for Windows
AltServer Windows users! Before continuing install the latest version of iTunes and iCloud for Windows. Download the files from Apple.com, and don't use the Microsoft Store.
1. Download AltServerWindows and extract the ZIP file, double-click the “setup.exe” file to begin the installation, and follow the on-screen instructions.
2. Connect your iPhone to the computer via USB and trust the device with your computer.
3. Open iTunes and enable iTunes Wi-Fi sync for your iPhone.
4. Launch AltServer application.
5. Click on the AltServer icon in the Notification Area, click “Install AltStore”.
6. Provide your Apple ID and password.
7. AltStore app will be installed on your device in a few seconds.
8. Open the Settings app and navigate to General → VPN & Device Management.
9. Trust the newly installed certificate named [Your Apple ID].
Download AltServer for macOS
AltServer Mac users! After lunching the AltServer app it's required to install the Mail plug-in. The Mail.app should allwas run in the background to sign and install IPA files.
1. Open AltServer app.
2. Click on the AltServer icon from the Menu Bar and Install the Mail Plug-in.
3. Enter your Apple ID and password, and clickInstall.
4. Open the Mail app and go to Mail → Preferences.
5. Click on the Manage Plug-ins in the General tab.
6. Click on the checkbox next to AltPlugin.mailbundle, next Apply and Restart Mail button.
Download AltServer for Linux
AltServer Linux users! AltServer Linux GUI was tested to work on Debian 11, Ubuntu 20.04, and Manjaro 21.2.4. The application adds a system tray app just like AltServer on macOS.
1. Install AltServer Linux using the command.
sudo dpkg -i AltServer.deb
2. In the next step Install all required dependencies.
sudo apt-get install usbmuxd libimobiledevice6 libimobiledevice-utils wget curl
3. Open AltStore Linux GUI from the system tray.
If you have a jailbroken device, you can add the dtathemes Repo to your Cydia Sources to access a modified version of AltStore that will run without revokes on your iPhone. Along with this, you can download AltDaemon to install and sign apps directly on your iDevice.
Note: AltDaemon runs in the background and is only activated when called by AltStore to sign IPA files. When not in use, it remains suspended, not consuming system resources.
To install AltStore and AltDaemon on your jailbroken iOS device, follow these steps:
- Open the Cydia app from the Home Screen.
- Tap on the Sources tab, then select Edit.
- Add the following repositories URLs:
- Install the AltStore and AltDaemon packages.
- When Cydia will ask you to respring the device confirm.
- Once installed, the AltStore app will be available from Home Screen.
AltStore IPA Download
AltStore IPA can be downloaded and installed on any device running iOS 12 and newer. If for some reason you can't install the app with AltServer sideload the IPA file on your iPhone with Sideloadly or AppSync Unified tweak for jailbroken devices.
Note: If you don't have a developer certificate, you can use your free Apple account to sign and install AltStore IPA and use it for up to 7 days before it needs to be re-signed.
To install AltStore IPA on your iOS device using Sideloadly app, follow these steps:
Step 1. Connect your iPhone / iPad to the computer via USB.
Step 2. Download AltStore IPA for iOS 12 – iOS 16.
Step 4. Sideloadly will automatically download the IPA file.
Step 5. Enter your Apple ID to sign the AltStore IPA.
Step 6. Click the Start button to proceed with the installation of the AltStore.
Step 7. Provide the password for your Apple ID.
Step 8. Open Settings app from the Home Screen.
Step 9. Navigate to General → VPN & Device Management.
Step 10. Click on the developer app with your e-mail.
Step 11. Tap on Trust to allow the application to run.
- Updates AltStore to version 1.6 and AltServer to version 1.6.
- Completely revamped error handling to include as much information as possible.
- Revised error messages to be more descriptive and provide more suggestions.
- “View More Details” button on error alerts to view detailed error information.
- Search for error code directly in AltStore FAQ.
- Checks iOS compatibility before installing AltStore.
- Fixed occasional crash when receiving requests from AltStore.
- Fixed installation alerts saying "iPhone" instead of actual device name.
- Fixed error encoding CodableError Int/UInt user info values.
- “Disk Incompatible with [iOS version]” error.
- Repeatedly asking some users to sign in every time.
- Various Apple ID sign-in errors.
- Fixed repeated “AltServer could not be found” notifications.
- Fixed missing metadata for errors received from AltServer.
- Checks iOS compatibility for updates and installs.
- Asks user to install latest compatible version if not supported.
- View unsupported updates from Apps tab.
- Added pull-to-refresh to check for updates.